What Type of Hood?

As with many types of restaurant equipment, the hood itself and its inner mechanisms, such as fans and pulleys, don’t necessarily vary widely between manufacturers. In fact, the inner guts of different brands may even be made by the same company.

There are two different types of hoods. A Type 2 nongrease hood is for restaurants that are only producing water vapor during the cooking process. A Type 1 grease hood is for all the others. Restaurant supplier Locklar believes restaurateurs should only buy the more powerful and efficient Type 1 UL hoods as opposed to the NFPA (National Fire and Protection Association) hoods. Some of the best brands, he says, are AVtech, Gaylord, Delfeld, and Captive Air.

Once a Type 1 exhaust system is up and running, it must be regularly cleaned by a company that specializes in duct cleaning. Depending on the volume of the grease produced, this can be once a month or once every three months. Also, restaurateurs need to be ever watchful to make sure the system is working properly. If doors began to slam, the dining room becomes hazy, the kitchen staff starts complaining about heat, or even the quality of the food takes a nosedive, it may be time to call in an air-balancing expert who can recalibrate your system. Your kitchen supplier should be able to help you find such an expert.

Always keep in mind that (to turn a famous quote of Oliver Wendell Holmes on its head) “most of the achievements and pleasures of life are in fresh air.”

Written By